Clients have a right to privacy and this is one of the perks of going to therapy is that what you share with your therapist stays with your therapist. This means that I do not share your personal information or details of our sessions with anyone else and any documentation related to our work together is stored in a secure online platform.
Limits of Confidentiality
However, as a therapist I do have certain limitations, with the following exceptions, I would not be able to ensure confidentiality:
- If you present a risk of physical harm to yourself or others, I am obligated to notify the appropriate parties.
- If there is a suspected case of child neglect or abuse, I have a duty to report to Family and Children’s Services.
- If clinical records are subpoenaed through a court order.
- If a presenting issue is beyond my scope of practice, I may seek clinical supervision/consultation. However, in this instance, your personal information would remain anonymous as I would continue to ensure your privacy.
- To report misconduct of a professional within my own governing body.
**Please note that in all instances I will do my very best to have a conversation with you about my concerns before any action is taken.